AASV Point Nepean
The field trip on Sunday 13th October 2013 involved a visit to Sorrento Museum and Point Nepean National Park.
The visit to the Point Nepean National Park involved a guided tour of the Quarantine Station and Fort Nepean by local historian Des Young.
Point Nepean was chosen for a Quarantine Station in 1852. The site consisted of a wharf, dormitories, kitchen, sterilisation area and cemetery. The Quarantine Station was closed in 1978. The site was also used as the Officer Cadet School from 1952 to 1985.
Construction of the defences at Fort Nepean commenced in 1882. The fort was added onto over time. The garrison at the Heads was removed at the end of the Second World War.
For more information on the Sorrento Museum click here. For more info on Point Nepean National Park click here.